Spiced Lentils with Yoghurt and Mint
- 1 cup black lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, ground
- 1 red chili, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 ltr chicken stock
- 1 cup Vaalia Natural Yoghurt
- 1 bunch mint, leaves only and roughly chopped
- ½ lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to season
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Add in the coriander, mustard and cumin seeds and cook for a minute or until fragrant.
- Add in your garlic, onion and chili then cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add in the lentils and 750ml of chicken stock. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook until the lentils are soft. Roughly 25-30 minutes. If you need to add in more stock, add in a ladle at a time until the lentils are cooked.
- Remove from the heat, stir through the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of Vaalia Natural Yoghurt, sprinkle with mint leaves, chili flakes and lemon zest.