Vital bacteria for your health and wellbeing.
Your gut is home to trillions of bacteria – and that is actually good news! Good bacteria help us both digest food and fight harmful bacteria. A growing body of research suggests we would have a hard time without them as they influence our appetite, digestion, metabolism, immune system and, to a degree, our physical and mental wellbeing.i
What Makes A Probiotic?
The term “probiotic” refers to consumable bacteria that may provide a health benefit. Probiotics are short-lived visitors to our gut. For this reason advocates of probiotics recommend their regular consumption. Probiotic bacteria reinforce the intestinal border and prime the immune system to better fight off colds, flu, and gastrointestinal infections. As they move through the digestive tract, probiotic bacteria appear to impact our biology beyond the gut and serve to promote health throughout the body.ii
While yoghurt is one of the most famous probiotic foods, it’s important to note that not all yoghurt contains probiotics – and not all probiotics are the same. Studies show that probiotic effects are strain-specific. Vaalia’s probiotics have been carefully selected for benefits that are backed by science. These include probiotics LGG® and BB-12®.
Lactobacillus rhamnosus or LGG® is the world’s best documented probiotic strain. After extensive research of naturally occurring lactobacilli, it was isolated by Sherwood Gorbach and Barry Goldin in 1985. Since then the LGG® strain has been comprehensively studied and is now described in more than 1300 scientific publications, out of which more than 300 are reports of studies in humans. LGG® has shown its beneficial health effect in numerous clinical studies, primarily within immune function and gastrointestinal health in children and adults.
LGG® Key Facts
- Clinical studies show that LGG® survives through the GI tract and can help restore and maintain the natural balance of good bacteria in the gut.
- The immune modulatory effects of LGG® have been studied intensely, mainly in relation to respiratory health and beneficial change in response to allergens.
- LGG® shows good enhancement of the gut barrier function.
- LGG® demonstrates strong immune interactions and stimulatory effects on immune cells.
- Children and infants from six months of age can benefit from LGG®, as it may help protect against harmful bacteria and maintain intestinal balance.
- The safety of long term use of LGG® has been demonstrated in several studies.
- Vaalia Yoghurts contain enough LGG® cultures (at least 1 billion colony forming units per 100g serve) to survive in sufficient quantities in the digestive system.
For more information about LGG® visit the Chr. Hansen website.
Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. Lactis or BB-12® is the world’s best documented probiotic Bifidobacterium. It is described in more than 300 scientific publications out of which more than 100 are publications of human clinical studies. BB-12® has proven its beneficial health effect in numerous clinical studies within gastrointestinal health and immune function.
BB-12® Key Facts
- Clinical studies have demonstrated survival of BB-12® through the gastrointestinal tract and BB-12® has been shown to support a healthy gastrointestinal microbiota.
- BB-12® has been shown to improve bowel function, to have a protective effect against diarrhoea, and to reduce side effects of antibiotic treatment, such as antibiotic-associated diarrhoea.
- Clinical studies have shown that BB-12® increases the body’s resistance to common respiratory infections as well as reduce the incidence of acute respiratory tract infections.
- BB-12® is well-equipped to endure critical passage of the gastrointestinal tract.
- All Vaalia Yoghurts contain enough BB-12® cultures to survive in sufficient quantities in the digestive system.
For more information about LGG® visit the Chr. Hansen website .
Chr. Hansen is a global bioscience company that develops natural solutions for the food, nutritional, pharmaceutical and agricultural industries.
This information is of a general nature only and is not designed to replace individual medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian for specific dietary advice.
i Chr Hansen
ii Sonnenburg, Justin. 2017, Gut Reactions. Transworld. Kindle Edition.
iii Chr Hansen, The Science behind Lactobacillus rhamnosus, LGG®
iv Chr Hansen, The Science behind Bifidobacterium, BB-12®
v Dairy.com.au. 2020.
vi Chr Hansen. 2020